Saturday, June 09, 2007

Some English expressions I like:

1. Proper. As in 'He's proper minted'. Or 'She's proper ugly'. Pronounced like proppa. 'E's made a right proper mess of this asn't e?'

2. 'Orright?'. Used like 'How's it going?'. 'Orright Tom?'. I don't tend to use this one much but everyone else does quite a bit. I still haven't quite worked out the right response to this one. 'Orright?' 'Yes, I'm well.' or 'Uh-huh'. or 'I'm alright, how are you?'. I don't think any of these are correct.

A similar one is 'Howz it?' or commonly 'Howz it bro?' (with the bro pronounced brew). This is a South African term not an English one but there are so many saffas over here it might as well be a London term. A good response is 'Lakka, bro'.

3.'I'm not being funny, but...' This is usually followed by a complaint. 'I'm not being funny, but would you get off your arse and do the dishes??' But this phrase always prefaces a mild complaint. If you were making a serious complaint, and you were really angry, you would drop the 'I'm not being funny'. 'Get off your arse and do the f***in dishes!' So, you would be being funny, even though you were angry. Get it? Good.

No comments: